Why is Social Media Important to Businesses?
81% of the U.S. population is on social media because it's a great way for people to stay connected, keep informed, and express interests. However, it can also be a powerful marketing tool for businesses. Many businesses and enterprises use social media to advertise and to provide their customers with product information and business announcements, but many of the businesses using social media are not using it effectively as they could be.
What is the Point of a Business Using Social Media?
To use social media effectively, businesses should have one thing at the forefront of their agendas: engaging their users.
If the user is not engaged they will just scroll past and move on to the next page.
How Can a Business Make Their Page More Engaging to Customers?
There are many ways businesses can make their business pages on social media more engaging to customers. Here are the 5 best ways to do that:
- Encourage Customer Feedback: Conduct polls and ask for feedback on your posts. Having customers share how they feel can help you improve relationships with those customers while simultaneously building the business by bringing in new customers.
- Respond to Comments: Responding to customers’ questions, comments, and concerns shows that you care about and appreciate your customers. This doesn't mean that you have to respond to every single comment ever made on your page, but answering some of the questions (or at least acknowledging them) makes the customer feel heard and valued which will encourage them to return in the future.
- Use Short Videos: Add short videos (complete with sound) to your posts as a way to feature and showcase new items that have come out or new promotions that are running at the company. Sound and the spoken word is a powerful way to connect with people via social media.
- Run a Contest, Promotion, or Giveaway: Running a promotion on a new product or a giveaway for people filling out a short survey or leaving a comment with an opinion can help a company get feedback from their customers. Then use this feedback to make the changes customers recommend.
- Share Your Business's Blog: Sharing links to post on your business's blog via social media pages can help drive more traffic to your website and your blog as well. Feature articles providing useful information to customers as well as promotions on the latest happenings within your business. Keeping it brief is usually best to keep people's attention.
Should I Pay to Promote?
Although organic traffic, or the traffic from users naturally clicking on links and posts, should always be a priority, the overwhelming amount of content available on social media has turned it into a "pay to play" game.
Paying to advertise on social media platforms is a way to drive traffic to your website that you may not have otherwise received. More importantly, when you pay to drive traffic to your website you can target certain demographics more precisely on social media than you can on any other platform.
Side Note: Don't forget to follow the platinum rule when you are creating your ads!
Provide Contact Information:
This may sound obvious, but you would be amazed to see how many companies don't complete their basic profile on social media accounts. Simply offering customers an additional portal to contact you can make a massive difference. It also sends the message that "We are always here for you."
For more great tips on improving your social media business page, check out 21 Helpful Social Media Marketing Tips for Small Businesses, or feel free to contact us.